Carrots are my most favorite vegetable. I simply love eating raw carrots and carrot paruppu usili. When i was going to college i would finish my morning break fast with one or two cups of any poriyal or any kootu.
Carrot Poriyal is one of the simple recipe. You may be wondering why am I posting a very simple recipe? But definitely it will be helpful to someone and one day it would be useful for my kid 😉 Adding peas and coconut to it enhances the flavor and color. You can also replace green peas with green beans and make carrot beans poriyal.
Carrot Peas Poriyal
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Serves: 2
Carrots – 1 cup
Fresh or Frozen Peas – 1/4 cup
shredded Coconut – 1/4 cup
Sambar Powder – 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as needed
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Chop carrots and boil it in microwave (optional) for 10 mins.
- Heat a pan add oil and temper with the ingredients above.
- Add the boiled carrots and give it a nice stir for 2 mins.
- Then add peas (i used frozen peas) to it and stir again for 2 mins. Add salt, turmeric powder, sambar powder and give it a quick stir.
- If you are not boiling carrots using microwave follow this. Add carrots, peas, turmeric powder, sambar powder, salt and mix well. Add 1/4 cup of water to it and keep it covered (this helps to soften the veggies)until water evaporates.
- Now add shredded coconuts to it and stir for 1 min and switch off the flame.
- Adding coconut oil in tadka enhances the flavor of the poriyal.
- You can also add chopped onions to the poriyal. Before adding carrots add the chopped onions and fry until transparent.
- You can also garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves.
I served along with rasam today. You can eat it as such or mix it with plain rice and top it with ghee. It tastes Yum!!