Ponnanganni Keerai Mandi
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 30 mins | Serves: 4 | Mrs. Gayathri
PONNANGANNI KEERAI MANDI is a quick, easy and traditional dish of Chettinadu made using mandi (starchy water left after soaking and washing rice). This keerai is available in two varieties, one is with green leaves called nattu ponnanganni and the other is with pink leaves called seemai ponnanganni. This keerai is safe and good for all ages. It cures eye related problems, asthma, piles, liver problems, reduces body heat and enhances energy. level.
Ponnanganni Keerai leaves chopped – 4 handsful
Small onions finely chopped – 15
Washed rice water/Mandi – 800ml
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds/Jeera – 1 tsp
Red chillies – 2
Coconut milk – 200 ml
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – as needed
- Cut the ponnanganni keerai, wash 3 to 4 times with water. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Get ready with all the ingredients.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, jeera and red chillies. Let them crack.
- Add small onions and saute till the onion turns pale pink color.
- Add keerai and saute for a minute.
- Add mandi/rice washed water to the kadai. Close the lid and cook keerai for 15 minutes in low flame. (Tip: If you don’t have rice washed water, for instant mandi add 4 spoon of rice flour in 500 ml of water).
- Once keerai is cooked add salt and let it cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Do not over cook.
- Finally add homemade freshly prepared coconut milk, give a quick stir and switch off the flame. (For fresh homemade coconut milk, add 1/4 cup grated coconut and 250 ml water and grind in a mixer, squeeze the coconut residue and extract the milk).
- You can also use manathakaali keerai and agathi keerai, and follow the same steps.
- While cooking dishes using spinach/keerai, the salt should be added only after the keerai is cooked well. Do not add in the middle of the process. It hinders the cooking of spinach/keerai.
- Cooking keerai in rice washed water/mandi gives nice flavor and taste to the dish.
- You can also use instant coconut milk from stores.
You can visit her website for more interesting and authentic chettinad cuisine recipes.