Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 20 mins | Makes: 4 | Author: Rohini Ramanathan
Besan Chilla or Besan Cheela is an Indian Savory Pancake. These delicious savory pancakes are made using besan or gram flour. It is nutritious and flavored with simple spices that can be served as a quick breakfast or a tea-time snack.
In Hindi “Besan” means “Gram Flour” and “Chilla” means “Pancakes”. There are many varieties of Besan Chilla prepared in Indian Cuisine. These are protein-rich foods and are widely known as Vegan Omelets or Vegetarian Omelets.
Today I will be sharing the basic version of chilla. I have some interesting recipes lined up which I will be sharing in the upcoming posts.
Besan Flour – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Salt – as needed
Ajwain – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Flakes – 1/2 tsp
Oil – as needed (optional)
- Take a sieve and place it over a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup besan flour to it and sift until there are no lumps in the besan flour.
- Add Salt, Red Chilli Flakes to the flour.
- Next, gently crush ajwain seeds between your palm and add them to the flour.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the flour and whish it briskly to get a consistency like that of dosa batter.
- Heat a cast iron griddle and pour a ladle full of batter over it and spread it in a circular motion until you get a thin crepe.
- Drizzle 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp oil over the crepes. Drizzling oil at this stage is optional. Allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes (it will come off the griddle on its own).
- Flip over the crepes and cook for another 1 minute.
- Remove from the griddle and serve hot or warm with Tomato Ketchup or Chutney of your choice.