Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins | Total Time: 35 mins | Serves: 4 – 6 person
Peas Pulao is a simple and flavorful one-pot rice dish that I frequently prepare. It is widely known as Matar Pulao. “Matar” in Hindi means “Green Peas” and “Pulao” or “Pilaf” means “Rice”. Our family demands Peas Pulao and has it along with Cucumber Raita or Potato Chips on any busy day.
Peas Pulao is a very simple dish that gets done in 30 minutes and uses ingredients that are available in the pantry. This is a quick dish that you can pack for the lunch box as well. As I mentioned earlier this dish will go well with Raita, Dal Tadka, Potato Chips, and also Paneer Curries.
Today, I prepared Peas Pulao and finally got a chance to take pictures and blog it here. I served it with simple Tomato based gravy and plain yogurt. Let us see the detailed recipe below. Today, I will be sharing the recipe using Instant Pot.
Uncooked Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Frozen Peas – 1 cup
Onion – 1 medium size thinly sliced
Green Chilli – 1 slit lengthwise
Mint Leaves – 2 tbsp roughly chopped
Water – 2 cups*
Salt – as needed
Ghee – 2 tbsp (optional)
Butter – 2 tbsp
Bay leaf – 1
Cloves – 3
Cardamom – 3
Star Anise – 1
- Wash and Soak Basmati Rice in water for 10 mins. Soaking rice is completely optional. Mostly I do not soak and yet the rice cooks perfectly. In the meantime turn on the saute -> more mode in your Instant Pot.
- Slit Green Chilly and thinly slice the onion and keep it ready.
- Once the Instant Pot turns “Hot”, add butter and ingredients listed under “To Temper” and saute for 1 min.
- Then add the thinly sliced onion, green chilly, and salt. Saute well until the onion turns transparent. This would take 6 – 8 minutes. Cancel the saute mode after the onions are cooked well.
- Wash and add frozen green peas and roughly chopped fresh mint. Fresh mints are optional but add a lovely flavor to the pulao.
- Drain water from the soaked rice and add it to the Instant Pot. Add 2 cups of water and close the Instant Pot Lid and keep the vent in the sealing position.
- Set Pressure Cook -> More Mode with High Pressure to 2 minutes on the timer. It would take around 25 minutes for the entire cooking process to be done. Allow it to Naturally Pressure Release for 5 minutes and Quick Release it.
- Once the pressure is released completely open the Instant Pot and add 2 tbsp of ghee. Again adding ghee is optional. Fluff it with a fork and serve warm with Raita or any side dish of your choice.
- The Prep Time includes the saute time as well. Similarly, Cook Time Includes the time taken for Pressure to settle (both NPR & QR).
- I have not used Ginger Garlic Paste. If you would like to add it you can use it when sauteeing the Onion.
- You can cashew nuts as well for extra crunch.
- Fresh Peas can also be used in place of Frozen Peas.