Cracked Wheat Upma
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Serves: 4
Our family loves all kind of upma. It’s considered as one of the easiest recipes and suitable for short trip where we do not get breakfast on our way. I love cracked wheat upma over white rava upma (Bombay Rava). My mom makes cracked wheat upma without adding any veggies or onion. My husband doesn’t like cracked wheat upma and so to make him eat I started preparing it with mixed vegetable. Wheat Rava is considered to be healthy compared to White Rava. This time I tried making it in Instant Pot and it came out really well. Loved the texture and flavor.
Cracked Wheat – 1 cup
Chopped Mixed Veggies* – 1 cup
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Tomato – 1 (optional)
Water – 2 cups
Salt – as needed
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dal – 1 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Turn on the saute mode in instant pot and let it become hot.
- Once hot, pour oil and add mustard seed, allow it to splutter. Then add Channa dal, Red Chilles and curry leaves. Roast until channa dal become golden brown.
- Saute onion and tomato along with salt.
- Add mixed veggies and stir well for 2 mins.
- Now add the Cracked wheat rava, 2 cups of water and mix everything well.
- Cancel Saute mode and Pressure cook for 5 mins with vent closed.
- Allow to natural release or open it after 10 mins.
Serve it hot with Curd (plain yogurt), chutney or Sambar. I served it with Orange Peel Kuzhaambu and Plain Yogurt. Add a teaspoon of ghee while serving.
* I used carrot, peas, corn and beans. You can use any vegetable of your choice.
- You can make the upma plain with out adding any veggies. My mom used to make upma with out veggies and onion, but she adds shredded coconut to it at the end. It gives a different flavor to the upma. I love eating it without any side dish.