Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
Rasam is one of the very simple and comforting South Indian dish. We can have this rasam as a soup with little bit of pepper added to it. I’ll be posting a recipe for pepper rasam soon. Rasam can be served with hot rice topped with ghee. My mom used to make home made podi to make rasam while my mother in law makes rasam with just the sambar powder. Each podi brings out different flavors to rasam. I’m quiet lazy to make podi’s at home and so i mostly follow my mother in laws version of rasam or simply buy the MTR Rasam Powder. Today i have made the rasam with home made rasam powder. I have linked the rasam powder recipes i used. Try it out!! Its tastes so good that you won’t be going back to the store brought powder.
Toor Dal – 1/4 cup
Tomato – 2
Tamarind – Gooseberry size
Rasam Powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Salt – As needed
Curry leaves – 5 leaves
Chopped coriander – 1 tbsp
Ghee/Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Jeeragam – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Soak tamarind in half cup of hot water and extract its juice and keep aside.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, mash the cooked dal with 1 cup water and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a sauce pan and fry the tomatoes until soft.
- Add the tamarind juice, turmeric, curry leaves and extra 1 cup of water.
- Bring this to boil and add rasam powder, salt, asafoetida and mashed toor dal water to it.
- Rasam need not boil for very long time. Once you start seeing the bubbles add coriander leaves and switch off the stove.
- Add the tadka to it and keep it covered until served.
4 Comments Add yours
Lovely recipe Rohini!