Quinoa Lentil Adai
Prep Time: 2hours (Soaking Time)|Cook Time: 5mins|Makes: 15 – 20
Adai is a spicy dosai variety usually made with Rice and Mixed Lentils. It’s has a very good nutritional value and flavorful on its own. To make it up even more nutritious we have added Quinoa to it. My family loves adai in it original form and i learnt the original adai recipe from my mom. My mom makes the most delicious adai!! Before my marriage i used to have adai’s without any side dish and it tastes yum as such. My mom uses coconut oil to cook the adai and the aroma is so heavenly. Only after marriage i came to know about the bingo combination Adai – Aviyal!!
Adai can be accompanied with Aviyal, Jaggery, Cane Sugar, Butter and Onion Raita.
Quinoa – 1 cup
Idly Rice/ Raw Rice – 1 cup
Channa Dal – 3/4 cup
Toor Dal – 1/4 cup
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Asafoetida – 1 tsp
Red Chillies – 5*
Salt – to taste
Curry Leaves – 1 handful
Chopped Coriander – 2 tbsp
- Soak Quinoa, Rice and Lentils along with Red Chillies for 2 Hours.
- Grind everything coarsely with salt, asafoetida and little water if needed. The consistency of the batter should be thicker than that of the dosa batter.
- Add chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves. Mix everything together.
- This batter need not be fermented and you can start making adai right away.
- Heat the dosa pan (i prefer iron pan) and smear little oil. Take a ladle full of batter and spread it the same way we make dosa but slightly thicker. Make hole in the center of the adai and pour oil (Coconut Oil give a different flavor) to cook the adai.
- Cook the Adai on both sides until golden brown in color.
I served Adai with Aviyal and Onion Raita.
* You can increase the amount of red chillies to suit your spice level. We don’t eat very spicy foods so i ended up using 5 chillies. Red chillies i had were little spicy too.
- You can add finely chopped onions to adai. Either mix it with the batter or spread it like we make Uthappam. It tastes Yum!
- You can also add Murunga Keerai or Moringa Leaves to the Adai. Muruga Keerai is very good for health and it adds a different flavor to the adai.