Prep Time: 1 hr 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Serves: 2
Carrot Puttu is a South Indian recipe that goes well with Sambar, Rasam or Kuzhambu. This recipe is shared to me by my childhood friend and she learnt it from her grandmother. The moment she told “Carrot Puttu” I thought it is related to “Kuzha Puttu” a traditional recipe of Kerala Cuisine, but it’s not so!! I further enquired her about the recipe and asked her to be the first to post a guest recipe on my blog. She gladly accepted my request and shared the recipe with me. When I heard the ingredients, I told her its almost similar to what we make as Paruppu Usili expect for the masalas added to it. I tried it this past weekend and really loved the flavors. It was almost tasting similar to the Masal Vadai. Many of you might have been aware of this recipe, but it’s completely new to me and hence I’m posting it on my blog to help many others like me. Alright, let’s jump into the recipe. If you like this recipe, do try it out and post your comments.
Channa Dal – 1/2 cup
Carrots – 4 shredded
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Green Chilli – 1 slit lengthwise
Fennel Powder – 1 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Chopped Coriander – 1 tbsp (optional)
Salt – as needed
Oil – 2 tbsp
Bay leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1
- Wash and soak the channa dal for an hour. Grind it into a slightly coarse paste and keep aside.
- Mix the shredded carrots, ground channa dal along with chilli powder, fennel powder, salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf and cinnamon sticks.
- Now add the onion and fry until transparent. Add slit green chilli and saute for 2 mins.
- Now add the carrot dal mixture to the pan and fry until the dal get roasted well. This would take 15 to 20 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. This is optional.
- Serve hot with Sambar, Rasam or Kuzhambu. This goes well with dosa also. You can use it as stuffing for masala dosa.
- You can use any variety of carrots.
- Instead of fennel powder, you can use fennel seeds. In this case add it along with the tempering ingredients.
- Instead of chilli powder you can soak and grind red chillies along with the channa dal.
Links to our other recipes