Pacha Theeyal (Pacha here means Raw). This theeyal is one of the authentic Kerala cuisine. I have tasted this recipe prepared by my athai and also by my mom. Whenever we go to Kerala we usually board the night train as it is a 17 hours journey and reach there by noon for lunch. As we reach thirunelveli my athai used to call us and ask what we would like to have for lunch. Without any second thought I would say that I want to eat Theeyal for lunch. I would prefer it to be on the menu the same day we reach there, as we may be going out the rest of the days and don’t get time to cook food at home or stick to very simple rasam or sambar 😊. It’s been almost 6 – 7 years that I had this theeyal prepared by my athai ☹. So, without any further delay lets jump into theeyal recipe.
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
Raw Banana – 1 chopped
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Tamarind extract- 1/2 cup
Water – 3/4 cup or as needed
Salt – as needed
To roast and grind
Shredded Coconut – 1/2 cup
Red chillies – 3
Methi or fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Rice – 1 tsp
Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry roast red chillies, methi seeds and rice until methi turns brown. Keep aside and let it cool down.
- Grind the dry roasted ingredients along with coconut into a smooth paste by adding 1/4 cup of water.
- In a sauce pan, boil the chopped raw banana with 1/4 cup of water. Once the raw banana is half boiled add the tamarind extract, turmeric powder and salt. Allow it to boil until the raw banana is cooked (it should not be too mushy).
- Now add the ground paste and bring to boil. If the gravy is too thick add some water and boil it for sometime (until it reaches the consistency of kuzhambu)
- In a pan, heat oil, add the mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Then add the fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Roast until fenugreek seeds golden color and transfer it to the gravy. Mix well and serve along with Rice and pappadoum.
- The raw banana must be firm and yet cooked well.
- You can also use vegetables like white pumpkin, malabar cucumber and also drumstick.
- This gravy goes well with dosa, idly and also with plain idiyappam. Serve plain idiyappam with Pacha Theeyal and Fried papad.