Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Makes: 1 cup
Red Chillies – 50 nos
Finely Chopped Ginger – 2 tbsp
Finely Chopped Garlic – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 4 tbsp
Salt – as needed
Vinegar – 2 tbsp
Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp
Tomato Ketchup – 3 tbsp
Oil – 4 tbsp
Water – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
- Break the red chillies into halves and soak it in boiling water for 20 mins. The chillies will swell up with time.
- Take the soaked red chillies and grind to a smooth paste with 2 tbsp of water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the chopped ginger, garlic and fry until raw smell goes away.
- Add the ground chilli paste and mix well.
- Add the sugar, salt, vinegar, soy sauce and tomato ketchup. Mix it up and stir for 5 mins.
- Now add 1/4 cup water and boil it well. Once the sauce thickens up and the oil starts oozing out, switch off the flame and allow it to cool completely.
- Store it in an air tight container or glass jar. Store it in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Schzewan Sauce in general is very spicy. I have used 50 chillies and it was a little bit spicy for our taste buds (the spiciness was tolerable when mixed with rice). You can increase or decrease the amount of red chillies to suit your taste.