Mor Kuzhambu or Pulissery is one of the most famous dish in Kerala. It’s one of the mandatory dish in the onam sadhya. “Mor” Kuzhambu as the name suggests it’s made with Sour Buttermilk and veggies. This kuzhambu is very flavorful, always paired with hot rice and Paruppu Usili or Potato curry.
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
Ladies Finger – 10
Sour Buttermilk – 1/4 cup
Water – 1 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – as needed
To Soak and Grind
Shredded Coconut – 1/4 cup
Toor dal – 1 tbsp
Dhaniya or Corriander seeds – 1 tsp
Rice – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Red chillies – 3
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Roughly chop Ladies Finger and keep aside.
- Churn the buttermilk, add turmeric and water. Mix well and keep aside.
- Grind the ingredients listed under “To Soak and Grind” along with shredded coconut to a smooth paste by adding some water.
- Heat oil in a pan add the ingredients under “To temper”. Let the mustard seeds and jeera splutter and fenugreek turns golden brown.
- Now add the chopped ladies finger and salt. Stir well until ladies finger fry a little bit and become soft.
- Now add the ground paste and bring to boil well. Lower the heat and then add the buttermilk and boil until a frothy layer is formed.
- Mor Kuzhambu or Pulissery is ready to serve.
I served it along with steaming hot rice and Cluster beans Paruppu Usili. One of the bingo combination!! Mor Kuzhambu can also be served with Palin Idiyappam/String Hoppers and Papad.
- Use only sour buttermilk for enhanced flavor.
- You can also use veggies like Malabar Cucumber, White Pumpkin, Tomato, Mango and also vadai for making mor kuzhambu.