Cluster Beans Paruppu Usili
Prep Time: 1.5 hour (including soaking time) | Cook Time: 20 mins | Serves: 4
Paruppu usili is made up of channa dal and vegetable mixed together. This is give unique flavor to the vegetable curry and mostly served as an accompaniment to Mor Kuzahmbu or Rasam. I love eating Paruppu usili as such. I still remember, whenever my mother made paruppu usili during my college time and my working time in Chennai, I used to eat it as my morning breakfast and leave home. I can just eat it 3 times a day and doesn’t fuss about it. I had a friend in my workplace who just loves this heavenly combination of Mor Kuzhambu and Paruppu Usili. Whenever my mom prepares this combo in the weekdays, I used to send her a message or call her up asking if she is going to come to work today or not. If she says yes, I would say her that I’m getting lunch for her and pack an extra box for Mor Kuzhambu rice with Paruppu Usili.
The Indian Stores in my place carries fresh vegetables only on certain days and it’s not always possible for me to make a trip on that day to buy veggies. So, mostly I end up making carrot paruppu usili or beans paruppu usili as these two are widely available in Walmart. On our casual visit to Oklahoma recently, we stopped by at an Asian Grocers on our way back home. I was surprised to see lots of fresh Indian veggies like Cluster beans, Banana Flower, Winter Melon, etc. I grabbed a few veggies which I have been longing to cook. Lets get back to the recipe. So, here is my family’s version of making Paruppu Usili.
Cluster Beans – 300 g
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Salt – as needed
Channa dal – 1/2 cup
Toor dal – 1/3 cup
Red Chillies – 3
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as needed
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Red Chillies – 1
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Soak the Chana dal, Toor dal and red chillies for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Chop the cluster beans finely and cook it along with little salt until the cluster beans become soft.
- Grind the soaked dal and chillies along with little salt and Asafoetida to a coarse paste. If needed you can add 1 to 2 tbsp of water while grinding.
- Take the ground paste and crumble it and place it on the idly plate. Steam it for 10 to 12 mins. This helps the dals to get cooked evenly. Alternatively, you can use a steam basket also.
- Once the dal is cooked, allow it to cool for some time and crumble the dal.
- Heat a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, red chillies, fry until mustard seeds splutter and urad dal turns golden.
- Add the curry leaves and steamed dal, fry until the dal becomes crisp slightly. Then add the cooked cluster beans to it and mix everything well.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and enjoy.
Mor Kuzhambu and Paruppu usili is a bingo combination. Here is the link to my Mor Kuzhambu.
- You can add shredded coconut while grinding the dal for an enhanced flavor.
- If you prefer you paruppu usili to be soft, I suggest add the cluster beans after tempering, saute it for 1 minute and then add the steamed dal and cook well for some time.
- You can just use toor dal only or channa dal only. Channa dal gives a crispy texture while toor dal gives a soft texture.
- You use veggies like carrot, beans, cluster beans, cabbage, capsicum and vazhaipoo (Banana flower) for making Paruppu Usili.