Smoky Wheat Tandoori Veg Momos
Prep Time: 15 mins | Marination Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Serves: 4 – 5 | Author: Mr. Sriram
Wheat flour – 3 cups
Grated Cabbage – 1 cup
Finely Chopped Onion – 1 cup
Grated Carrots – 1 cup
Salt – as needed
Oil – for frying
Besan flour – 4 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Chat masala – 1 tbsp
Kasuri methi – 1 tbsp
Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
Lemon – 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Mint leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Thick curd (Hung Curd) – 3 tbsp – Hung curt for 1 hour to get thick curd
For filling momos
1 Mix grated Cabbage, Carrot, Onion, Salt, and pepper and keep it aside
Mixing marinated ingredients
Take a vessel and mix all the ingredients mentioned in “To Marinate” like Besan flour – 4 tbsp, Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp, Pepper powder – 1/2 tbsp, Salt to taste, Chat masala – 1 tbsp, Kasuri methi – 1 tbsp, Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 tbsp, Garam Masala – 1 tbsp, Lemon – 2 tbsp, Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped, Mint leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped and Thick curd (Hung Curd) – 3 tbsp (Hung the curd for an hour in a muslin cloth or cotton cloth to get the thick curd).
Preparing the dough
- Kneed the dough like making for roti.
- Split the dough into big lemon sized dough ball and keep it aside.
Cooking methods with Nala’s touch (eNalabaag)
- Roll the dough ball into small round shape – 3 to 4 inches circle.
- Fill the vegetables in the centre (mixture prepared in the for filling momos step).
- Start covering the sides like making kozakattai – to make momos.
- Keep aside all the momos ready for frying.
Frying the momos
- Take a kadai and pour oil for frying momos.
- Once the oil becomes hot (keep the stove in medium flame).
- Lightly Deep fry the momos till before the stage of golden fry (don’t over fry).
- Take out all the momos and keep aside (to dry excess oil place it in tissue or kitchen cloth).
Marinating fried Momos
- Take each fried momos and dip in the Marinated mixture (done in the step “Mixing marinated ingredients”).
- Coat each momos very well to ensure that the marination covers all sides of the momos.
- Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
Making of Smoky Wheat Tandoori Veg Momos
- Take a pan and add 2 tbsp oil, keep the stove in medium flame.
- Shallow fry the marinated momos, turn sides of the momos with a spoon or stick so that all the sides of the momos gets fried
- Fry till the momos turns into golden brown.
- Take each momos with a handle and fry directly in the flame, this step will make the momos gets a charcoal smell when smoke fried. Or you can use a lengthy stick, stick 3 to 4 momos and fry in direct flame to get a charcoal smoke fry. Roll the stick to get all sides of momos got fried.
Now Smoky wheat tandoori veg momos ready – Serve along with Green chutney
- Use a muslin cloth or cotton cloth to hung the curd to get a thick curd (without any whey).
- Also note that the momos need to be marinated for 15 mins before frying.
You can reach out to me at