Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 25 mins | Serves: 2 – 3 | Author: Rohini Ramanathan
Poha is a popular Indian breakfast or snack. It is popular in the majority of Indian states. Poha is basically flattened rice, also known as Pauwa, Sira, Chira, Aval, or Avalakki.
Before I moved to the United States, the only aval upma I knew was Lemon Poha or Tamarind Poha. After moving to the United States, I learned about Aloo Poha at one of my friends’ house during a potluck. It is extremely simple and quick to prepare.
Poha can be made into both sweet and savory dishes. Aval Upma, Aval Payasam, Poha Chivda, and Aval Kesari are some of the most popular poha-based dishes. In the coming days, I will post my recipes on this blog.
Maharashtra’s Aloo Poha is a popular breakfast or tea time snack. It is made with only a few ingredients, including potato, chili, cumin seeds, and poha. Let us now get into the specifics of the recipe.
Thick Poha – 3 cups
Potato – 2 (medium size)
Green Chilli – 1 (slit lengthwise)
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Hing – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as needed
Water – 1/8 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Peel and wash the potato skin. Make medium-sized cubes out of them.
- Place the Poha in a colander and thoroughly wash it under running water. The poha would become soft. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat the instant pot to saute – > more. Once “hot,” add the oil and heat for a minute.
- Now add the mustard and let it sputter. Then, add the cumin seeds, peanuts, and green chilli. Give everything a quick stir.
- Stir in the chopped potatoes, salt, turmeric, Hing, and curry leaves. Combine everything thoroughly and press cancel button.
- Sprinkle in around 1/8 cup of water and cover with a lid.
- Close the vent valve and steam cook. Set the timer for 1 minute to cook on steam.
- Once completed. Quick Pressure Release and stir in the soft poha. Cover for 5 minutes and serve warm with your favorite pickle, tea, or chutney.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Once hot, add the mustard and cumin seeds and let them sputter.
- Next, add the peanuts, green chilies and sauté for a minute.
- Combine the chopped potatoes, salt, turmeric, Hing, and curry leaves in to the pan. Everything should be thoroughly combined.
- Pour in about 1/8 cup of water and cover the pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Once cooked, reduce the heat to low and stir in the soft poha. Combine everything thoroughly and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with a pickle, chutney, or tea of your choice.
If you have tried this recipe, leave a comment below or share it with us on our Facebook / Instagram and tag us #yumtumbhojana. We would love to see your post!