Celery Stalk Kootu
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time : 30 mins | Serves : 4
Celery – 2 cups chopped
Yellow Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – as needed
Water – 1.5 cups
Cilantro – 1 tbsp finely Chopped
To Roast and Grind
Channa Dal – 1 tbsp
Dhaniya / Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
Red Chili – 2
Ghee / Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Using Instant Pot
- In a pan, dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under “To Roast and Grind”. Let it cool down completely and grind to a coarse powder.
- Turn on Sauté -> more mode on Instant Pot and wait until it indicates “Hot”.
- Once hot, add 1 tbsp of ghee. Wait for a minute and add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Then add urad dal and sauté until it turns golden brown.
- Add the chopped celery, salt, turmeric and give it a quick mix.
- Turn off sauté mode.
- Wash the Moong dal and add it to the instant pot. Then, add one cup of water to it (ensure the dal is covered completely).
- Add curry Leaves and close the lid and set the vent to sealing.
- Press Steam -> more mode and set the timer to 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking is completed you can wait for the pressure to settle down naturally or quick release after 5 minutes.
- I Quick Released the pressure after 5 mins. The Kootu was perfectly done. Now, add the ground powder and mix well. Add the remaining half cup of water if necessary and adjust the consistency as per your liking.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and a spoon full of ghee/coconut oil.
- You can serve it as a side dish for Rasam rice / Chapathi or mix it directly into rice and enjoy it with roasted papad.