Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Serves : 2 – 3
Onion – 1 medium size
Broccoli – 2 small crowns
Shredded Coconut – 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – as needed
Water – as needed
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dal – 2 tsp
Urad dal – 2 tsp
Red chilli – 2
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Chop the onion finely and keep it aside.
- Wash the broccoli throughly and chop the broccoli finely or into bite size as per your preference.
- Heat oil in a pan, once hot add the red chilli and mustard. Once the mustard starts crackling add channa dal and urad dal, let it turn golden brown.
- Now add the chopped onion, salt and stir fry until onion turns translucent.
- Then add the chopped broccoli, turmeric powder and sautè for 2 mins. Sprinkle some water as needed and mix everything well. Cover the pan and cook. If your broccoli is chopped very finely it would get cooked in 3 – 5 mins. If using bite size broccoli it should be ready in 5 – 8 mins.
- Add the shredded coconut and mix everything well. Broccoli thoran is ready to be served.
- This recipe can be made without using onion as well.
- You can also add a teaspoon of Red chilli powder / Sambar Powder / Curry Powder as per your liking. We liked it without any spice powder.