Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 30 mins | Serves – 3- 4 | Author: Rohini Ramanathan
Carrot Rice is a flavorful and aromatic rice that is cooked with shredded carrots and freshly ground spice. My mother taught me how to make this dish. If you have cooked rice on hand, this dish is quick and easy to make. It is suitable for both children and adults’ lunch boxes. Serve with any poriyal / sautéed vegetables, raita, or chips.
Carrots include a lot of antioxidants and beta-carotene. It is beneficial to eye health because to its high beta-carotene content. They also have several additional health advantages, including as boosting your immune system, aiding with constipation, diabetes, and strengthening bone strength.
Spice powder is prepared by roasting coriander seeds, red chillies, channa dal, urad dal, dessicated coconut.
Before we get into the details, have a peek at some of my other variety rice dishes below.
Basmati Rice – 2 cups (cooked)
Shredded Carrot – 2 cups
Cilantro – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Salt – as needed
To Roast and Grind
Dhaniya / Coriander Seeds – 2 tbsp
Channa Dal – 2 tbsp
Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
Red Chillies – 2
Dessicated Coconut / Coconut Powder – 4 tbsp
Oil / Ghee – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 1/2. tsp
Green Chilli – 1 (slit lengthwise)
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Channa Dal – 1 tsp
To Roast and Grind
- Heat a small pan over medium heat and add the red chilies, coriander seeds, channa dal, and urad dal, roasting until golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In the same pan, toast the dessicated coconut. Cook till golden, taking care not to burn it.
- Add everything in a blender and blend to a coarse powder.
To Prepare Rice
- Heat the oil in a pan, then add all of the tempering ingredients one by one and roast until golden brown.
- Add the shredded carrots, salt, and simmer until tender. The carrots cook swiftly since they are shredded.
- Combine the carrots with 1 or 2 tbsp of the spice powder that we prepared.
- Stir in 2 cups of cooked rice until well combined.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with your preferred side.
- I have used Byadgi Chilli. If you are using any other variety of red chilli you can adjust it as per your preference.
- You may also add in black pepper to the spice powder for added heat.
- The spice powder can be stored in airtight container and can be used in stir fries as well.
- I have used basmati rice. You can use any variety of non-sticky rice to prepare this dish.
If you have tried this recipe, leave a comment below or share it with us on our Facebook / Instagram and tag us #yumtumbhojana. We would love to see your post!